Hogar Immigrant Services’ Naturalization program includes two services for long-time legal permanent residents who are eligible to apply for United States citizenship.
- Application Assistance
- Exam Preparation
The legal services staff, with the help of pro-bono attorneys and many volunteers, assists applicants in filling out the N-400 Application for Naturalization at Saturday workshops which are held 8 – 10 times per year in various locations in Northern Virginia. Applicants who attend these workshops pay a $30 fee and are given their completed N-400 packet (including photos and attachments) to send to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), as well as information regarding the application process.
For those applicants who need help preparing for the Citizenship Interview and Exam, Hogar Immigrant Services offers Citizenship Preparation Classes in Falls Church, Woodbridge, Vienna and Sterling, Virginia. In the course of a class session students learn all material on the Citizenship exam and practice their English conversation skills as well. Teachers prepare students for their in-person interviews with USCIS by holding mock interview sessions. The duration and cost of the class is different at each class site. Call Hogar’s Falls Church office at 703-534-9805 for current Citizenship Class schedule information.
The general requirements for naturalization include:
- a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
- an ability to read, write, and speak English;
- a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
- good moral character.
NATURALIZATION WORKSHOPSWant to become a US Citizen? Hogar hosts a Naturalization Workshops every month. At each workshop, members of the Hogar Legal team, as well as trained volunteers, are on hand to assist eligible legal permanent residents (LPRs) in completing naturalization applications.
Items you must to bring to a Hogar Naturalization Workshop include:
- $30 ($20 workshop fee + $10 for pictures) in cash or money order
- $680 application fee payable by check or money order to "US Department of Homeland Security"
- Your “green card”/Legal Permanent Resident card
- All passports-current and expired
- Dates/addresses for all places you have worked and lived within the last five years
- All data regarding your spouse and children and former spouses
- Any record of criminal convictions
All records from Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) (tickets, DUI, license suspension, etc).
Court Dispositions, in the event that you ever been arrested for any type of charges (if you do not bring these documents with you, we won’t be able to assist you).
Depending on the seriousness of your criminal charges Hogar Immigrant Services reserves the right to decide whether to represent you.
For the dates and locations of upcoming Naturalization Workshops, please go to our Calendar of Events.
CITIZENSHIP CLASSESCitizenship classes-- designed to help immigrants preparing for the naturalization examination-- are currently being offered in four locations-- Falls Church, Woodbridge, Vienna and Sterling.
In order to register for Citizenship class, you must:
- be able to speak and understand at least a "low intermediate" level of English;
- have at least "high beginner" skills in reading and writing English; and
- have applied, or be eligible to apply, for US citizenship.
For more information regarding class schedules please call 703 534-9805 x 252 or click here for a printable flier.
Click here to learn more about the Naturalization Test Questions.
Volunteer Application Form and email it to email@example.com or learn more about the volunteer opportunities we have available by clicking here.